Monday, January 17, 2011

Say hello to my little friend

Yesterday my husband and I got ourselves a new addition to our family.  We saw a craigslist ad from a family who had a litter of 7 kittens and I liked the little grey one from the picture alone - http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pet/2162161066.html

We got there at 2:05 p.m. and the first four kittens were nabbed in literally five minutes.  One family waited outside the door at 1:57 and took three cats, one for every child.  It was fine actually since my little girl was still there.  She is the cutest thing with her blue eyes and grey fur with little white paws and a white underbelly.  I named her Frankie in part because of Frank Sinatra (ol' blue eyes) and in part because of the little girl from Blue Valentine.  Initially I was thinking of the name Bonnie or some name in Spanish but nothing seemed right except Frankie.  Pete let me pick her out and name her and have her be my cat.

We read how to introduce a new cat to an existing but just bringing her home, Kitty went up to Frankie, smelled her, hissed and hid under the bed.  It reminded me of the story my mom told when I was brought home from the hospital.  My older sister Vanesa kissed me on the cheek as a baby, slapped me and told my mother, "I don't want her, take her back!"

Last night Frankie meowed like a little bird when we went to bed so we scooped her up and let her sleep in our bed.  Bad idea.  Every thirty or so minutes she would awake from her nap and want to play.  I'd pet her half-sleeping and she nipped at my fingers and she would scratch at my arm or lick it with her scratchy tongue.  Not the best sleep in the world but boy is she cute.  My husband Pete slept on the couch partly because of Frankie and partly to be close to Kitty.  I put her on the floor early this morning in case she needed to eat or anything else but apparently I didn't leave her there long enough.  I should have been suspicious when Frankie sat perfectly still on the bed.  She was peeing all over our comforter. Oh the joy of parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment