Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My current you tube video fascination

Okay so I should start with a disclaimer, I am not the avid you tube video watcher in the world by any means.  I usually look at them when a friend posts them on facebook or a co-worker ims one to me.  (There is a decent amount of downtime where I work so it's socially acceptable to watch the occasional video).  Having said that, I have watched this particular video of a father and daughter singing a song I had never even heard before, (Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros) probably 30 times since last week.  It's ridiculous!  See for yourself and then I'll tell you why I like it so much:

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64c5vT3NBw

Isn't that just the sweetest little video you've ever seen?   There's an innocence to the way she sings the lyrics that I just don't enough of in two minutes and forty-eight seconds.  So I have to watch it again and again.  I love how her arm has to touch her father the whole time that she sings, that she plugs her ear with her little finger to hear herself sing, the simple gesture of her index finger touching her thumb as her father strums the guitar, the face she makes when she tries to whistle the way her father does, and most especially, the words she changes around.  Instead of "moats and boats and waterfalls, alley ways and pay phone calls, I've been everywhere with you," she says, "moats and moats and waterfalls alomaise and pay mon calls, I've pain another where with you."

This little girl and her father transform a love song between a man and a woman infused with a sexual longing with a longing of another kind.  My guess is for a mother since it states that he is a single father raising two little girls.  (Plus you know no mother would let her daughter go on camera with uncombed hair).  She looks off into the distance filled with hope and a child's longing that breaks only when she looks at her father.  I hope they both find the woman that makes them feel at home.

If you want more, here is the original video of the song:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HNY0rx2fw4&feature=related


There's also a cool remix of the song on Grooveshark called Home (ArpLine Remix) by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

No comments:

Post a Comment