Monday, January 17, 2011

Blue Valentine

I saw the trailer for the movie "Blue Valentine" over Christmas break and it was one of those movies that just spoke to me.  I love talking about relationships, watching movies about relationships, and this was a discussion in a visual form that made me want to see it immediately.  Here is the trailer in case you haven't seen it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0A_yg8XjU

I ran out to see it with my husband and another couple on Friday night and I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

For those of you who haven't yet seen it, I suggest you see it right away and then continue reading.  People think it looks depressing given that it's about a relationship that has it's share of problems and you aren't sure if they are going to make it.  I have faith that they will.  There's something so beautiful in their relationship in the beginning, the way their first date unfolds, the way he rescues her, even the way they look at each other.  This movie takes you back to high school, to your first romance, and holds you there.  They seem so great together onscreen I want them to be a couple in real life (and they very well may be).

The song from the trailer "You always hurt the one you love," plays in my head over and over again almost as a caution.  If I let the little things get between my husband and me, we may end up like Cindy & Dean.  He'll lose his hair and wear a black shirt with an eagle on it and I'll get puffy and start hitting him screaming things like, "I'm the man!"  Okay so maybe not but there's a thread there that exists in every relationship.  It either gets stronger or more frayed.  Hopefully in the end you realize you can work things out "as long as there is you and me, nobody baby but you and me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvAQ2Q4zKro

No comments:

Post a Comment