Monday, August 10, 2020

Here goes...

I completely forgot about my blog from 9 years ago until I googled myself and it appeared suddenly in my search. I just spent the last hour reading my old posts and chuckled to myself, remembering things I completely forgot about in an almost re-discovery.

I didn't even have kids 9 years ago. I lived in a different city,  in a different time zone, pre-COVID. There's so much missing in between that it would be impossible to recap my life from where I left off in San Diego as a newlywed to having kids and my life presently. So I'll just start with today.

Much like my grandmother and her fascination of garage sales, I live for thrift stores and bargains. On most Mondays, you can find me at this thrift store by my house in Elmwood Park because everything in the entire store is 50% off. I usually spend my time in the women's clothing section since they have cute dresses for $4-$5 but today I spent a good 30 minutes perusing puzzles, games, and toys for the kids. I didn't even push the cart near the women's clothing section which is a first for me.

Patrick (who is my oldest son, 7 years old on the brink of turning 8 with a very wiggly front tooth) discovered a plastic pirate ship, dark green tanks, and a plastic bag full of military-looking fake Legos. Since the toys were $2-4 I told him that I would get him whatever toys he wanted for his birthday. (He still owes me $8 from purchasing him a military set from DD's Discounts and his sugar mama, the tooth fairy, hadn't paid him for his last tooth since he lost it and he hasn't written her a note yet). 

Meanwhile, Alejandro sat on the floor playing with a random assortment of discarded toys Patrick pulled off the shelves. The goldmine I discovered was a stow and go Hot Wheels set for $2.50. He was thrilled his allowance money covered the cost of this worthwhile piece of plastic although I can almost guarantee you that he will throw his head back and audibly moan the next time I ask him to unload the silverware from the dishwasher- one of the few chores he has to do in order to earn his allowance. 

The treasures that I discovered were games that I played when I was younger that I thought my kids could enjoy- Battleship, Connect 4 and Headbanz (okay so the last game didn't come out when I was a kid but the others did). As I pushed my cart to pay, it was so overloaded that things started falling. I wasn't even really embarrassed since my loot was so great. I just asked Patrick to help me pick it up and stuff it back under the cart. He was like Rosalita from Goonies, kicking the cans of soup that fell from the torn grocery bags.

(Side note- I just spent 15 minutes trying to find the movie clip with Rosalita kicking the cans while Brandt is tied in a chair and got sucked into watching deleted scenes from Goonies among other things). I think I'll just quit while I'm ahead and write more another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment