Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This one time I was chatty

I haven't written an entry in awhile so this may very well be a worthless one but perhaps I can pull something out of my pompa to fulfill the request of a friend who asked for the next blog entry.

I was going to write about this random guy I met the weekend before Valentine's day.  My husband and I are stuffing our faces full of greasy cheeseburgers at Bare Back Grill in Pacific Beach at the bar since it's Saturday night and there were no tables to be had.  I can tell this guy is alone and seeking conversation since he asked the bartender if he watched the Ohio State vs. Wisconsin basketball game.  I took this opportunity to keep him company since he was alone the weekend before Valentine's day because I'm such a nice person and sure enough, he opened right up.

"Why, did you watch the game?" I asked.
He smiled and turned to me, his face visibly red against his pale skin.  "Yes, I sure did!"
"Who did you want to win?"
"Wisconsin.  I'm from there."
"As in you used to live there or you are just visiting San Diego?" I asked between mouthfuls.
"Oh I'm just here for the weekend," he said playing with the straw in his water.
"You are purposely here in San Diego the weekend before Valentine's day by yourself?  There's got to be a story somewhere."

He proceeded to tell me that his girlfriend of a year (maybe two?) gave him an ultimatum and he knew he wanted to marry her but he just wasn't ready.  It seemed like her mother was pushing her to get married and he was torn since he cared about her but he just didn't want to be forced into such a big decision.

I also met another guy this past weekend in LA while visiting my friend Michelle.  We bare the frigid air in Santa Monica and end up at Circle Bar.  His friend buys us a lemon drop shot and I start talking to Daniel.  He's about 37 years old and his girlfriend of 12 years gave him an ultimatum.  I had no pity for him.  Our conversation went something along the lines of...

"Your girlfriend dates you for twelve years and just now gives you an ultimatum?"
"Yeah," he says, shaking his head.
"Your girlfriend has got to be the most patient woman on earth!"
He laughs and says, "you are funny."
"So you don't know if you want to marry her after dating her for twelve years?"
"Well she was different."
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"When we dated for six years she used to hang out with her friends a lot.  Recently she's been getting her act together since she wants to get married."
"How old is she?"
"35."
"35!  Her eggs are practically all shriveled up by now!  You aren't getting any younger.  God, I can't believe you don't know after twelve years.  Grow some balls!"
He just laughed and laughed meanwhile home girl is turning grey with her shriveled up eggs in a relationship with a man who doesn't know if he wants to marry her.

Okay last story.  Same weekend, different bar.  I went to O'Brien's before I went to Circle Bar and overheard an interesting story that I simply had to take part.  I literally said, "oh this sounds like an interesting conversation, mind if I join in?"  Okay so I had a drink or two but I can be rather social when I feel like it.

The guy and his friend seemed eager to share their tales with us.
I slurred, "okay start over."
"From the beginning?" he asked.
"Where it's relevant," I said.
"Okay, so I'm dating the sister of the CEO of my company who is 46 years old."
"How old are you?" I interrupt.
"29.  She's 17 years older than me."
"17 years older than you!" I exclaim.  I shake my head.
"Yeah, and I want to break up with her but I don't know if I should find another job first."
"Well, why do you want to break up with her in the first place?" I ask.
"Because she's 17 years older than me."
"Oh you suck!"
They laugh and I say, "okay, here's what you do:  first you have to find a new job and second, you have to break up with her.
"I already tried to make up an excuse because she doesn't want to have kids and I told her how important it is to me to have children."
"Did she buy it?" I asked.
"Well, then she said that she's in love with me and that she'll have kids with me if that's really important to me."
I kept repeating what a miserable person he was for being involved with her in the first place, asked for pictures of her and then offered him my last piece of advice.  "Here's what I would say to her.  I would say, I wish I was ten years older, whatever you say, do NOT say you wish she was ten years younger.  And tell her honestly, I am not man enough to be with you.  That you don't deserve to be with her because frankly you don't.  So at least that way you are being honest."  I'm pretty sure I said it much more eloquently than that but his friend really liked it and he said he was going to use that.

My parting words to him were, "I really like your jacket.  Where did you get that?"
"My mother gave it to me for Christmas," he responded.

1 comment: